Sunday, January 21, 2007

Childhood memory

When I was in fifth grade I had a witch of a teacher named Mrs. G (god rest her soul). She and I were like dish soap and oil. In fact, I bet she downright hated me.

One day we had a science project to illustrate the classifications of living organisms. I probably complained a lot, but I finally gave in. I passed in the image at the end of science class. Without knowing it, I created one of my most memorable works of art. The day ended just like any other…I left school and headed home for the Disney Afternoon.

The next morning, I returned to school and my illustration was the only one hanging on the bulletin board! Mrs. G told everyone about my work and commended me in front of the whole class. For a second, I finally thought I had defeated the old shrew. It was the first time in my life that I thought of myself as an artist. Although Mrs. G continued to make my life a living hell that year, she is responsible for my first positive art experience.

1 comment:

Bob Flynn said...

Not too shabby! My 4th grade teacher laminated some posters I drew of the Ninja Turtles and put them on the bulletin board in the classroom.